Friday, July 16, 2010

Hedge Funds Getting Squeezed?

A lot of hedge funds were short the euro.  I am not sure how many got out of their positions but it was the most popular position for the past few months.  I am sure there are many now questioning their decision to short the euro but euro bashing is still not out of style.  The ridiculous calls for euro-dollar parity are still out there.  This just goes to show you that you can never put too much trust in one fiat currency over another.  They are all shaky. 

4 comments:

Tsachy Mishal said...

I am surprised you are not shorting. Are you expecting a pop? I was hoping for one to sell into but it doesn't look like its happening.

Market Owl said...

I actually have started a small short position in the overnight market. If we get back near the overnight highs, I will add more short.

Tsachy Mishal said...

A breakout of the recent range would suck in the chasers and then we would likely get a meatier correction. That is what I was hoping for.

Market Owl said...

It is tricky to trade countertrend which is why I've been treading carefully on the short side. Because I do think over the next 3 weeks, we'll be grinding higher.

But yesterday's buying at the close seems pretty climactic after all the good news.