Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Energy is Always Last One In

I am going to discuss something that reminds me of 2008.  No, I don't think we'll crash later this year, but something really bad will happen in 2011 because of crude oil.  If we get the economic recovery that many are expecting and S&P goes to 1250 or 1300, then we will have to contend with high oil prices.  If S&P is at 1250, oil will be at $100 easily.  And with oil above $100, that will start sucking the life out of the consumer and you will have another recession.  I don't see it happening this year, but next year, I expect a combination of overvalued stocks, high oil prices, and sufficient inventories to propel another cyclical bear market.
As for the short term, I expect decent weakness either today or tomorrow.  It just might be better to cover intraday today and short it tomorrow morning after the ADP numbers are out.  No big edges here on the short side.

3 comments:

teomax said...

well, my main investement theme are oil/gold juniors and i conviced we are going to see oil over 100 bucks in the summer as feb/march are the bottom months for the year.

the crooks running the show will run the oil like they did it in 2008 (decreasing consumptionX increasing inventories). why they shouldnt run it again?

Petsamo said...

It would be nice if we matched the DAX at -0.23%. If we finish unchanged, we can still drop tomorrow. Look at the daily SPX chart.

Anonymous said...

yup looks like mkt is going to make another high. jobs report looks like its going to be good. why do i get the feeling they're gonna run it to 1210 in a straight line. if that is the case that'd 16% run up straight from 1040 in february. that's fucking crazy. I have never seen that in my life.